Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What a week [will] bring

I have neglected my "What's in a week" series, and too much has happened in the past month to write about it right now, but a quick thought process about what MIGHT happen within the week to come.

In a week, we will know who the next president of the United States will be. God willing, we will make the right choice. Everyone always bitches about WHOEVER winds up being president, and I have no high hopes of the next 4 years being smooth sailing if Barack Obama wins, but I harbor deep-seated fears if "that [other] one" (how you like 'dem apples, John?) wins. He won't though. He can't. Can he?!? Oh God.

Moving on before I have an anxiety attack.

Oh wait, one more thing - In a week we will also be voting on all of those "props" that have been constantly in seemingly every commercial on the radio or on TV. Of course, the one everyone is talking about is Prop 8. Why are we voting on this, what is the purpose? We have already voted on, passed, and put into practice legal gay marriage in the state of California. Who are these people that suddenly decide that one vote is not enough, that we must keep voting and re-voting and re-re-voting because they don't like the way people have voted before on a human rights issue? Does this mean that given enough support, we may one day see on the ballot Prop whatever, asking that we amend women's right to vote? What if someone woke up and said, hey, I think a hundred years ago or whenever, they had it right, and black people should only count as a fraction of a person when casting their votes. Should that be allowed on the ballot, even though we have clearly made equal voting rights a human right for everyone a long time ago? How is marriage any different than voting rights? Everyone has the right to vote, to speak, to pray, to protest, to do all kinds of things! Why not marry? And why are religious groups the ones most against this? For Christians, doesn't Jesus tell us to love EVERYONE? Isn't he a defendant of the misrepresented, the marginal, the outcast? Isn't his first miracle performed at a wedding? Why should gay people not have the privilege to enjoy this greatest of human self-imposed misery? The thing that most irks me though is this insane propaganda for Prop 8 that tries to terrify us by using the oldest and lamest trick in the book - "the children." Oh, God, the children! If Prop 8 does not get passed, our children will be forced by their public school teachers to listen to endless propaganda about homosexuality. They will be corrupted! They will turn away from Jesus! They will all become homos and whores! I exaggerate, but this is the innuendo in these ads. I mean, what in the name of all that is holy? When did we EVER talk about "marriage" in elementary school? I don't remember a SINGLE time when we talked about marriage AT ALL unless it was "oh Pocahontas married so and so." Even during Sex Ed no one mentioned MARRIAGE. I highly doubt that if Prop 8 is defeated, suddenly PUBLIC, GOVERNMENT-FUNDED SCHOOLS will all of a sudden include curriculum about GAY marriage, let alone any kind of marriage. It's so sad really that this is even an issue.

In a week, I will have finished this most obnoxious book, Taltos. I don't know what possessed me (ha!) to pick this up. I had sworn off this book after reading Lasher last summer... Oh! It was listening to Blackwood Farm on CD during our long drives to/from L.A.! You see, that books combines the Vampire Chronicles AND the Mayfair witches! AWESOME! But thank goodness we are LISTENING to it and not READING, because I may have actually thrown the book at the wall, Anne Rice is SO annoying in her portrayal of Taaaarquiiiiinnnn Blaaackwoood. Let's out it this way, we are on disk 15 of 18, and we STILL have no gotten to the CORE of the novel!! Anyhoo, listening to BF on CD made me really curious about the gap between Lasher and BF, so I finally gave in and checked out Taltos from that haven of mine, the Mountain View Public Library. The first 200 pages were FABULOUS! I felt SO redeemed! There was character insight, interesting plot turns, short scenic descriptions, teasers, sex, the whole shebang. Now, smack in the middle of the book, it has gone incredibly sour. I should have known when I caught a GARRISH mistake on Rice's part -- on one page, the character Mona decides to drink orange juice instead of coffee, we even get a description of what the oj tastes like (so Rice!) and on the VERY NEXT PAGE, the character (Mona, the slutty 13 year old pregnant with her mentor's husband's baby who may/may not be a Taltos, a non-human giant) sits at the breakfast table drinking COFFEE! Then, in the very next paragraph, she is back to orange juice. Tsk, tsk, Anne Rice! I could have forgiven that, if the following chapters didn't deteriorate into a mindless mush. For some reason, my favorite character (aforementioned Mona) has become a complete idiot, and we have entirely lost track of the other, more interesting side story about the actual TALTOS, which gives the book its very title. Enough ranting about this bad literary mistake on my part, which I nevertheless will trudge through, and perhaps award myself with some Didion once I am done.

In a week I will have survived my lover's first midterms in grad school! I may not be the one studying all the time, writing the papers, doing the projects, but it is very tasking to stand by helplessly as your loved one sells his soul over to the demons of academia. Oh, this also makes me miss school SO much. Tonight, I actually felt envy when I read his paper because I want to be writing them too. Even though those going through this right now probably want to slap me (and probably Dickens, as well!)

In a week I will have entered my second month of being "gainfully employed!" I am still settling in at work but I am quickly becoming familiar and comfortable there, and I think it will bring lots of good things.

In a week I will have watched almost the entire first and second seasons of "Desperate Housewives," living on my DVR at the moment. When one's boyfriend is in grad school, and one doesn't have homework of one's self, and one has developed a DH addiction while UNemployed, one begins watching DH at random moments! Now I have gotten to the point where Bree finally finds out that it was George who killed her trifling husband, Rex! And Gaby is upset that her husband has found religion instead of spending lots of money on her after his return from jail! Escandalo! I think another reason I like DH so much is that the show reminds me of my mom, because we used to always watch it together on Sunday nights last year when I lived at home.

Oh what, oh what, will a week bring? No drama, vote for Obama!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment