Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton

The Age of Innocence The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Definitely my new favorite book, Age of Innocence soared higher than my expectations in everything from tone to sentiment to subtlety, and made me fully understand why Wharton holds the place she does in American letters. This book was so beautiful that I actually stretched out reading the last 100 pages because I did not want it to end, and when it did, I felt like I had not read a more perfect ending to a novel in a really long time. I was also struck at how timely Wharton's novel was to us, towards the end of 2008, at at time when we too face a chancing social climate, a clash of old-world culture with forward-thinking, technological advances. Pieces of this novel read as if Wharton was directly describing the world around us, which only reminds us that while history may not repeat itself, it does rhyme a lot :) (Thanks, Mark Twain!)


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment