Monday, August 25, 2008

What's in a week?

M initiated a kind of ritual that we have established over the last several weeks, of taking some time on Sunday night and reflecting on all the events that happened over the last seven days. What we have come to realize is that no matter how dull one's life may look like from a distance, if you break it down in such a way that you look at life day by day and week by week, you come to realize how much really happens!

As an example, I will share only the last seven days. Last Sunday night, I never would have thought that within the week, I would have traveled to Nebraska (and possibly for a brief moment, to Iowa!) and spent time amidst hundreds of miles of corn and soy beans, with people who refer to my presidential candidate preference as merely, "the idiot." Or that I'd have to say goodbye probably for the last time to a wonderful human being. Or that I would watch several thunderstorms happen hundreds of miles away, visible only because the land in Nebraska is so flat you literally see to the horizon. Or that I would spend more time with a screaming infant that I ever really cared to. Or that I would attend Sunday service at a Methodist church and meet the pastor. Or that I would spend hours upon hours in the Denver airport, to and from Nebraska! Or that I'd discover that I'm to be an aunt, making my little sister the first to reproduce and get married. Or that a friend of mine would get engaged! Or that I'd get a second callback interview and have it scheduled for the morning after our late return flight. Or that I would actually find myself very much enjoying Henry James's Portrait of a Lady.

All in a week's time, and all with absolutely no prior knowledge. Now, we stand outside on Sunday nights, and hope that the coming week will be as exciting as the last, hopefully with less sadness and with more happy news!

Pictures from Nebraska to ensue shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment