Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bestie

There are times in life when the people you love say or do something that stops you in your tracks and makes you think, damn, I love this person! Lucky for me, my fiance does/says things like this all the time. I take it as a good sign of a lifetime to come. But someone else who will be standing next to me when I get married does this as well.

Meet my bestie, we'll call her Maid Monkeypants because, well, she loves monkeys, and I think "pants" cutseys up any old word.

Recently, I had been harboring a secret that I did not want to voice out loud in fear of being stoned and run out the proverbial village that is "Things You Must Do At Your Wedding." It has to do with my dress. Now, the mister doesn't want to know what the dress looks like, so I have to be rather mysterious here. But let's say I wanted to do something that a lot of brides would consider sacrilegious. But the other day, I mull up the courage. I tell Maid Monkeypants, "ummm I'm kind of thinking of [said bridal faux-pas]. I think it might be a bigger pain in the butt than it's worth." Her response: "Yea, I totally know what you mean. If it you want to do it, go for it." It was one of those moments when I thought, Damn, I love this woman! There was no moaning & groaning taken out of that hateful "Things You Must Do At Your Wedding" book or bridesy cliches. This is a perfect example of why Maid Monkeypants is not only my maid of honor, but my best friend, too. Over the last seven years(!!!) we've known each other, she has always been supportive even when I probably made it hard and she probably wanted to yell at me, "Holy moly woman, how many times can we talk about THE.SAME.DAMN.THING?!" and has always looked out for my best interest. And throughout my relationship with the mister, she has provided endless helpful advice and support, and I'm proud to have her standing up with me, or rather, us.

No comments:

Post a Comment