Monday, March 16, 2009

The Mud Run




I have been avoiding blogging about this for months. The reason is two-fold; first, it took me a really long time to accept that I have actually signed up for this, and second, I feel that my training progress is not impressive enough to write about. However, the date is soon approaching and I have to fully embrace the torture that is...

The Mud Run

From the horse's mouth: "This is the World Famous Mud Run! The Mud Run is a challenging 10K run with hills, tire obstacles, river crossings, two 5-foot walls with mud on both sides, tunnel crawl, slippery hill climb, and the final 30-foot mud pit. Along the course there will be 6 water points with personnel staged at each. This is the most fun you can have running a 10K! View the course map at www.camppendletonraces.com. Race individually military or civilian, within your age division, or as a member of a 5-person team. Choose the Open category with no restrictions on attire and footwear, or the Boots and Utilities category, which requires regulation military boots and camouflage utility trousers. Please note: there is a 2 hour 45 minute time limit on the completion of the course."

M and his friend Ray (of Ray of Light Fund) did this last year. Ray's girlfriend and I went to cheer our men on, and watched the sheer torture that this race truly is; somehow, both of us are doing it this year. Sadly, due to a confusion in scheduling, it will be on different days, but I digress. The point is, I have witnessed the disgusting mud, I have heard the screams of hundreds of people being hosed down with icy water as they try to crawl up a muddy hill, and I have smelled the foulness of the final mud pit. And I am now doing this. Why? The gods only know.

But let me try to work out the reasoning behind this.

I needed an incentive to get my lardy butt in shape. Especially since I started work, I have feared that I was on the steep slope to imobility. And yes, I have a lovely gym that I visit regularly, but with no real incentive to get me motivated, the gym was really more a recreational activity than a health-and-fitness motivator.

Second, M's sister really wanted to do it, for the same reason (see above), and when I realized she was serious about it, I felt compelled to join, knowing I'd have another girl to run with and support, and be supported by.

Third, everybody that crossed that finish line last year looked so... happy!


The hellish hills, the mucky mud, the fire hoses, the whole shebang - and the girl above is exhilarated! I wanted to feel that same sense of accomplishment and pride, and I have never really pushed myself to do anything remotely athletic that would warrant such results. This is my chance. I could have started with a 5k or even a normal 10k, but I figure, if you're gonna do it, might as well do it with a bang. So, I'm doing it!

I have been running now for a couple of months, and I have to say that I am really proud of myself. When I started, it was a struggle just to run for a minute. Now, I am doing just under 13 minute miles! Hoorah! Hooray!! Huzzah!!! Last weekend M and I went to Santa Cruz and ran for over an hour on forest trails, which was good for the body, but even better for the soul. There really is no other feeling like running over brooks, by wildflowers, under mossy branches of redwoods.

The only snaffu in my perfect plan to become a running goddess is...

My Lame Foot

I have a lame foot, and it's a pain. Literally. My right foot apparently decided that it wants to become entirely numb somewhere between 1.85 to 2 miles, almost every run. It feels swollen, bloated, numb, tingly -- it SUCKS! My doctor said it's a nerve, and gave me stretches to do. I do them, it still numbs. I recently bought some sole inserts and they seem to help, but I am feeling the pressure to go see a podiatrist. I hate going to the doctor, so I have been putting it off, but it must be done eventually. It seems that hills and soft ground are better -- in Santa Cruz, it didn't do the numbness thing! Another reason to love Santa Cruz, as if I needed any more.

This past weekend, we ran at the Rose Bowl, and I saw how big of an improvement I have made since the last time I went running there. That's the most rewarding part about working out - is seeing and feeling yourself improve with time. I remember the first time I ran on the treadmill for five straight minutes, I wanted to hug myself.

So, until June, I will try to blog about my progress. It will be a challenge to increase my training, because my parents will be staying with us until after the Mud Run, but I will have to figure something out. Maybe run in the morning, if I can convince myself to get up.

Mud Run, here I come, and I will conquer you!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it!! :) I love running because it is hard, but it is incredibly satisfying.

    I can't believe I just said the words, "I love running..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Veronica: Thanks for the kind comments about Karina -- even though she's bald, she's a pretty cute kid.

    As for the Mud Run, congrats. I did it a couple years ago and it was a blast. But be careful; I almost lost a shoe in a mud swamp. And what are you doing in Pasadena? I live down the road from the Rose Bowl and run that track around it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also doing the mud run (June 6th). Like you, I've never done something like this but decided to go full throttle. I am 56 years old and weigh over 200lb, but I saw this on a TV show last May and decided I would do it or die trying. Since then I've lost 40 lbs. I'm walking the thing because of a bum foot and knee, but I've been power walking for months now and never felt better. If I don't make it through the course in the time allowed, I have vowed to return every year until I do.

    See you in the mud! Of course, I'll be eating your dust. :)

    ReplyDelete